2 Apr 2014

French Fancies - Marcel's, Dublin


Let's face it, it's quite easy to get stuck in the rut of returning to the same restaurants time after time when you're deciding to eat out! Not that there's any problem with that, but sometimes for me it gets a little boring and I like to switch things up a little. I'm always on the lookout for little hidden gems, especially in Dublin where the same restaurants are always popping up as the new "spot to go to".

Enter Marcel's ...
My parents stumbled across this chic French inspired bistro awhile ago by accident. They had planned to do brunch at the hugely popular Expresso Bar when they realised it had been replaced by a new restaurant, Marcel's. The orange canopy and green boxwood lured them in and they havn't turned back since - in some cases traveling from Monaghan to Dublin specifically for the food (yes it's that good).

Since then, I've had my ear talked off with my parents telling me I had to try it out. Being a bit of a self confessed foodie (I got it from my Moma ... and Dad), I have a feeling that they knew I'd enjoy it. So for Mother's Day on Sunday, we sent my parents off to Dublin for the day and surprised my Mum later that evening by showing up to Dinner in Marcel's. It ended up being a bit of a treat for all of us.



When you walk in the doors, you're immediately greeted by the chic decor - orange leather seats with black piping running along the edges (I want!) & retro wall paper - it makes a great first impression. So trendy. Overall it gives the feeling of being in a private restaurant in London or Paris - not Ballsbridge.

The menu itself - like most these days - is quite small, with 6 or 7 options for both starters and main courses. However, this gives more than enough choice, offering something for everyone - even the pickiest of us (cough, cough - I'm lookin' at you bro).

For my starter I went with pan seared Scallops with a pea emulsion and crispy pork skin - so good, I'm drooling! And for my main I decided on the roast breast of Chicken with fondant potato - also amazing. I do have to say I was a little jealous of my brothers Duck which was cooked pink and looked like something I would just devour, definitely trying that next time.




What made the night for me was the ambiance. The staff really deserve a mention. They're attentive, make you feel at home and most of all are hilarious and aren't afraid to have a joke with the customer - something I really appreciated. The faint sounds of Outcast playing in the background didn't go amiss either, I think that alone shows what the restaurant is all about - really great quality food, with a whimsical twist.

If you're planning to eat out in Dublin soon, I can't recommend that you check this place out enough. It's a must for a great dining experience.

Find Marcel's here:


*I didn't have my 'big girl' camera at hand on the night, just my phone - but I think Marcel's photo's are enough to entice you. lol.

What's your favourite restaurant at the moment?
Have you visited Marcel's?

XO, G.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Grace D | All rights reserved.
Custom Blog Design by pipdig